Monday, October 28, 2013

HUMBLED...
Wow. Have you ever had a total stranger tell you they are praying for you? 
Today I took two boxes to the local post office to mail to my son overseas. They were the first of what I anticipate to be many boxes we will ship in the coming year. These two boxes were plopped on the counter and a friendly, familiar face said, "These for your son?" I said yes. She helped me work on the customs forms and labels and while doing that we talked about how moms deal with deployment. She was prior Navy. Said she wondered how her mom did it when she was in the service. I said, "We pray through it."









The elderly woman standing next to me at the next counter said, "You tell your son I said 'THANK YOU' and that I'm praying for him."  That humbled me and I valued that expression of gratitude! And if that wasn't enough, the man behind me spoke up and said, "She's not the only one praying.." 

The three of us stood there and I got weepy. Two people I didn't know reached out their prayers for my son and the men and women he serves with. I couldn't speak. My emotions were on my sleeve and all I could say was, "Your kindness is going to make me cry! Thank you.." And I walked away and wept all the way to the car, and after I got in the car I just sat there a minute. I totally wasn't expecting that, Lord!
I wasn't weepy today. I was rather cheerful as a matter of fact, happy to finally be mailing my boy these items I've lovingly thought through and planned and packed. The support that was shown in those few moments of time  totally hit me down to my core! And it was a moment I will never forget....





After running home to blow my nose and fix my makeup, I moved on to my next errand for the day. I needed to make copies of a flier regarding donations we are collecting for the boxes. Again, the worker is familiar to me as I've done business in this place on a number of occasions. She made the copies and came back and said she'd like to post one up in the store for me. And then proceeded to give me some suggestions for other stores to approach for the same. There was just something "understanding" in her voice. A nice looking young man standing next to her, about late 20's I'd say. Close to my son's age. She then pointed to him and said, "This is MY son. He just got back from Africa." I looked at him and just said, "Thank you." Again, I was ready to boo hoo. I found another local military mom and soldier to support and pray for. He told me who he serves with and that he has another two years to serve.
I hope all military mothers experience support for their children in the service. These willing servants deserve a lot more than they receive. Many have to struggle to get or keep benefits earned in a very difficult way. Many have sacrificed so much more than we will ever know. The entire family does.
So from me to you....THANK YOU. Know I am praying for your child each and every day. And if you shed a tear or two when people say that to you, it's OK. It's from your mamma's heart. No matter how old that "child" may be....

LCain

No comments:

Post a Comment